Amherst – US: A Massachusetts middle schooler died this week after attempting a viral TikTok challenge. Nate Squires was found unresponsive in his home Saturday and succumbed to his injuries Monday. He was 13.
Now, his family want to bring awareness to the
The grieving Massachusetts family members are trying to bring awareness to the dangers of blackout challenge, in which TikTok users are dared to choke themselves until they lose consciousness, that caused the death of their eighth-grader this week.
Amherst Regional Middle School student Nate Squires was found unresponsive at home Monday after attempting the TikTok blackout challenge.The Family
The social media challenge, which has gained popularity on TikTok, encourages children to choke themselves until they lose consciousness.
The entire family feels like the rug has been ripped out from under us. All over the world families are losing children to this. We ask that if you cannot donate, please reach out to a child in your life and talk to them about the Blackout Challenge.Samantha Thomas – Sister-in-law
The blackout challenge has been around for years, daring participants to endure choking to the point of passing out in order to gain a sense of euphoria. In April, a 12-year-old Colorado boy died after participating in the challenge.
The dangerous challenge, which has gained popularity on TikTok, also goes by the names pass-out challenge, the game of choking, or speed dreaming.
Thomas, organized the GoFundMe page for the family support
The GoFundMe, which was created a day ago, has raised over $24,000. Their goal is $25,000 to help take away any financial burdens they may face in upcoming months as they deal with the tragedy.
Both Rachel and Dave [Nate’s parents] want the world to know of the circumstances that surround Nate’s death to ensure that this does not happen to another family.Samantha Thomas
They hope bringing Nate’s story to light will help or change the minds of others attempting the dangerous challenge.